Tremont is a neighborhood in the city of Cleveland, Ohio, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Tremont is one of the oldest parts of Cleveland, and once held a large German immigrant population. Today the neighborhood is home to many restaurants and art galleries. The district sits just west of the Cuyahoga River and south of the Ohio City neighborhood. Tremont is home to numerous historic churches including Pilgrim Congregational UCC (founded in 1859), St. Augustine (1893), St. John Cantius (1898), and St. Theodosius Russian Orthodox Cathedral (1912).Tremont is bounded by the Cuyahoga River to the North and East, MetroHealth Medical Center to the South and West 25th Street and Columbus Avenue to the West.
Since the early 2000s, Tremont has reinvented itself and is experiencing a revival. With its close proximity to downtown and affordable dwellings, the neighborhood began a revival in the 1990s due in large part to an influx of new residents, including young professionals, empty nesters, hipsters and immigrants attracted to the neighborhood’s amenities, historic housing stock and new infill housing. Tremont has become a destination spot with numerous restaurants, shops, and art galleries. The Tremont Art Walk occurs on the 2nd Friday of each month. In 2013, it was revealed that three women were held captive for ten years in a house in the neighborhood owned by Ariel Castro.
Lemko Hall (2337 W. 11th St.) – The historic hall served as a social gathering place for the one-time sizable concentration of immigrants from the Slavic region of Lemkovina who lived in Tremont. Today it is a mixed use (retail and condominiums) structure and a city landmark. It is arguably most famous for being the site of the wedding reception in the 1978 film, The Deer Hunter. T.R.E.A.T.S (Tremont Residents Empowering Animals To Socialize) Dog Park Located at Clark Field – the largest off-leash canine play park in the Cleveland area. The Chelsea Building is one of the oldest high rise building constructed in Cleveland, being erected in 1898. The building also has the first residential elevator installed in the city.